The Round Rock Chamber and the Round Rock Independent School District (RRISD) have partnered to create an externship program that gives teachers, counselors, and administrators the chance to spend a week shadowing business and organizational personnel. The educators will gain insights that they can integrate into their teaching plans, which will better prepare RRISD students for future careers. The five-day externship experience consists of an orientation, three consecutive days of educators on-site with the business, and a final presentation day.
How it works:
- Educators apply for the externship program, indicating their industry areas of interest and specific goals for the program.
- The chamber and RRISD match the businesses and educators based on the workplace requirements and the educator’s subject matter and interests.
- After matches are made, the chamber works with the businesses to individualize each externship experience and coordinates with the educator.
- The business hosts the educator on site for three days during the summer of 2017.
- As the educator interacts with business partners, they will develop strategies to integrate job-based learning not only for career content, but also for soft skills, into their daily curriculum. In the final presentation day, each educator will summarize the perspectives learned and how this will be integrated in the classroom.
- The final report will include a sample lesson plan demonstrating the new strategies.
- Both businesses and educators will complete a post-externship assessment of the program.
- The available subject matter is very flexible. Even if a business/organization’s industry sector doesn’t perfectly align with an educator’s subject, an externship could still be extremely valuable.
- Since this is a volunteer opportunity for both the businesses/organizations and the educators, there is no guarantee that every application can be fulfilled.
Help us prepare the workforce of tomorrow by participating in this exciting program. For more information, please contact us at 512.255.5805.