Round Rock has a bevy of post-secondary education providers located within its borders and a number more in close proximity, including branch campuses of Texas State University, Austin Community College, and The Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, as well as The Art Institute of Austin and South University. All of these institutions are outstanding chamber partners and count on us to be a liaison between their faculty and the business community.
Agenda for Economic Vitality higher education positions:
- Support education at the community college level as an important contributor to training students for jobs in the workforce and provide a path for certification.
Financial aid (for non-credit courses and part-time students)
- Support the availability and effectiveness of financial aid programs for part-time students and/or students enrolled in non-credit courses.
Graduate medical education
- Support the creation of more Graduate Medical Education (GME) slots and additional GME program funding to ensure adequate residency training in Texas.
Health-related institution funding
- Maintain funding sources of healthcare professional shortage programs and support approaches which will create more computer science graduates.
Higher education affordability and accessibility
- Support legislation that would provide that the funding of higher education institutions be based on the completion of courses, not based upon classroom attendance on the 12th day of the semester, to promote timely and cost efficient graduation.
- Provide more sustainable and predictable methods of funding post-secondary education.
Workforce ready graduates
- Support educational opportunities for non-traditional students, including adult learners who did not complete a secondary education credential.
- Support funding options to promote degree, credential, and/or certification completion.
- Supports legislative efforts to promote programs that simultaneously allow adult learners to complete degrees, credentials, and/or certifications for the purpose of increasing workforce ready graduates.
- Support legislative efforts to maximize efficient student pathways and to offer more affordable educational opportunities such as through dual credit and early college start programs.
Read the Agenda for Economic Vitality in its entirety.